Where to get information on our services

Anyone experiencing social or psychological problems or with questions on these issues can go to a CLSC in their area.
A reception service will respond to your request, analyse the information regarding your situation and ensure to direct and refer you to the program of services that could meet your needs.

Communicate with the CLSC nearest to you.

We suggest this simplified guide. You will find your options if you are worried, if you are ill, if you have trouble finding a family doctor. Did you know that for non-urgent health problems, there are alternatives to the Emergency department? Check it out!


[Download the guide]